Once you see how easy it is to view this kind of info, you'll be amazed at how helpful it is. You will be much better prepared to make good decisions about your online marketing which includes your website.
The info is called analytics, sometimes "metrics" or "stats" and they consist of information you can use to understand and optimize your website, email campaigns, and social media. It's the science of the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of data.
Most websites and online systems will do all the heavy lifting for you and will assemble the info into graphs and charts, you only have to remember to LOOK at it.
Here's what I suggest you do:
- Set a reminder on your calendar for no less than once every three months. Set aside 30 minutes (or ask me or your webmaster/support person to do this for you and send you a report).
- Log into your website and social media accounts.
- Go to the place where they show you the analytics, metrics, insights, reports (or whatever).
- Spend a few minutes reviewing the info. You'll be surprised, I promise.
- Now, was that really so hard?
Want to see specific examples of what we use? Read on!
All of this type of info is widely available. What's covered here are the basics to get you started. You don't have to become an expert, but you should be able to find out if all your time and money is paying off, and if it isn't, why.
Websites / Squarespace
As with most website analytics, you can review an overview of activity, get info on popular content, see who is referring to your website, learn what search engines and words people use to find your website, what they are searching for once they are on your website, and much more.
Look at the overview graphic below. Did you do a big email campaign, a live event, a mailing, or some type of marketing in January? And now you see a big spike in views. Good! Whatever you did, it was effective. Do more of that! Did you do some marketing in October? Uh oh, something went wrong. It didn't work very well if you meant to drive people to your website. That's okay, now you know what IS working, so you can do more of it!